It has been a long time since I published a Day In The Life piece. These were always some of my most popular posts, and since my nutrition has evolved over time, I thought it was only time to post a new one. These were candid pictures of meals that I eat regularly. Nothing staged or added for effect. My breakfast, shake and lunch are pretty standard and don’t change much. Dinner time has the most variety in general (and they tend to be meals that my almost 3 year old daughter can eat, so our customary salad is out for now).
But before I get into that I wanted to share something else that is pretty cool. Dr. John Berardi, or JB, as he’s known around PN, was nominated for Men’s Health “Ultimate Guy” contest.
According to the website:
“Men’s Health and Kenneth Cole are searching for “The Ultimate Men’s Health Guy” to appear on the COVER of the November issue. This guy is physically fit, confident, stylish, career driven and a pillar of his community…the voting will help us select winners in four categories: Most Physically Fit, Most Healthy, Most Giving, and Most Successful.”
He had to upload 3 photos and 4 short 100-word essays about himself, which you can see HERE.
If you think he is worthy of nomination, it would be fantastic if you gave him your vote. Just click the link above, hit “Vote,” and follow the prompts. Takes 2 seconds.
JB is an awesome boss, and a better friend, so I encourage you all to check it out and see what you think.
Back to nutrition.
Since working for PN my eating habits have mildly changed over time. These days I eat even more vegetables than I used to, and I actually have a more linear intake. Meaning I don’t intentionally eat more on some days than on others. I just prefer the simplicity and consistency, and it flat out works for me.
My intake tends to follow our hand-sized portion meal guidelines that we teach at PN (assuming you eat 4 meals per day):
- 2 palms of protein
- 2 fists of veggies
- 2 cupped handfuls of carbs
- 2 thumbs of healthy fats
Wake @ 5:00am
- 10 oz coffee
Breakfast @ 6:00am
- 5 whole eggs (salted)
- a bunch of mixed veggies (broccoli, peppers, scallions, tomatoes)
- 2 Ezekiel toast (with locally made wild blueberry spread)
- 1 handful raspberries (usually a banana, but we were out)
- ~1/2 tbsp Kerrygold butter for eggs
- 10 oz coffee
- 1 glass water
- multivitamin, curcumin, probiotic, and vitamin D (vitamin D only in non-summer months – see here and here for my supplement recommendations)
Super Smoothie @ 10:00am
- 12-16 oz water
- 2 scoops vanilla or strawberry protein powder
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 handful frozen blueberries
- 1 handful frozen strawberries
- ~1 tbsp chia seeds
- ~2 cups Stonyfield whole fat plain yogurt (1/2 container)
- 2 Athletic Greens fish oil pills
Lunch @ 2:00pm
- 1 Ezekiel English muffin
- 1/4 of an avocado
- some dijon mustard
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 gourmet cucumber, sliced and salted
- 10 baby carrots with a little hummus
- 1/2 oz mixed nuts
- 1 apple
- 2 glasses of water
Dinner @ 6:00pm
- ~8 oz haddock
- some Ezekiel bread crumbs and butter
- ~1 handful of mashed potatoes, salted
- ~2 fists of asparagus, seasoned to taste
- ~1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for asparagus
- 1 glass red wine (yes I realize it’s in a white wine glass)
- 2 glasses water
- 1 serving dried fruit and 3 squares of 88% cacao dark chocolate for dessert
I would love to hear your thoughts, questions and comments!