In the past I have blogged all about why I think probiotics are so essential for optimal health (here and here). Due to this strong belief in there effectiveness I eat a 16oz Greek yogurt everyday. I toss in some blueberries, chia seeds, and some mixed nuts for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Keeping the GI tract healthy is of utmost importance to overall health. Here are some really important and interesting points about why:
- The gastrointestinal system comprises 75% of the body’s immune system.
- There are more neurons in the small intestine than in the entire spinal cord.
- It is the only system in the body that has its own, independently operating nervous system, called the enteric nervous system.
- If you stretched out the gastrointestinal system in its entirety, it would have the surface area of a regulation sized singles tennis court.
- There are over 400 species of microbes living in your gut, totaling over 15 pounds of mass and containing more bacteria than there are known stars in the sky.
The last point relates a lot to the importance of probiotics and their impact on your health. The fact that there is more bacteria in your GI tract than there are known stars in the sky is insane. So lets ensure that it is beneficial bacteria making up that population. You can do that by eliminating processed foods, eating a lot of fruits and veggies and by consuming cultured foods like yogurt and supplementing with probiotics.
A brand I really like is Integrative Therapeutics Probiotic Pearls. I have found that just consuming one of these every day has greatly improved my digestion and the digestion of my clients.
Check out the BSP Training & Nutrition Newsletter!
You will get immediate access to:
- Weekly updates and exclusive content.
- The 20-page report "The Truth About Saturated Fat & Cholesterol."
- Become more awesome!